November 13, 2007

Martha Wainwright - Interview

One of Martha Wainwright’s earliest memories is singing alongside her dad Loudon Wainwright III and brother Rufus at the Newport Folk Festival when she was six-years-old.

“I remember feeling very comfortable on stage. Maybe too comfortable...I didn't want to get off,” says Martha.

So she didn’t. Martha spent years performing on stages around the world, including more appearances with her famous family, which also includes legendary mom and aunt, Kate & Anna McGarrigle.

But it wasn’t until 2005 with the release of her self-titled full-length album that Martha found her own voice. And as she readies her upcoming sophomore record due in early 2008, she realizes, she likes the sound of it. Martha chats about her upcoming tour.

On these dates you’ll be debuting music from your upcoming album, due out next year. Will you talk about the record?

Yes, I'll talk about the record and some of the nuances found in these new songs. Hopefully as a relief to my audiences they are not all about me and my navel gazing.

Can you discuss a song or two musically and lyrically?

One of my standout tracks on the new record is a song called "The Tower Song,” which is my attempt at an anti-war song. Seeing as I am not good at political material, in this case I am using poetry to try and express my feelings on the current situation. I will hopefully be playing this one live on some upcoming shows.

Has growing up in a musical family made writing a natural form of self-expression or was it intimidating at first?

I think both. The act of writing songs seemed natural as a daily event although the bar was set quite high from the start seeing as I am such a big fan of my families work. It was very important from the beginning to find my own style and to tap into what I had to offer to this art form.

What impression has your family’s music made on you?

They have taught me not to listen to anything else but my own heart.

Who is one of your favorite artists?

One of my all time favorite singers is Edith Piaf. I've always tried to emulate her intensity. Her ability to convey the story and words in such a dramatic way without being over the top is incredible.

Martha Wainwright performs at the Beacon Theatre with Swell Season on November 19.

Watch Martha Wainwright perform "Factory."



And Martha performing with Rufus at Glastonbury in June 2007 (the sync is off a bit, but close your eyes and listen, it's beautiful).



And with Snow Patrol.




Interview originally published in The Aquarian Weekly.

No comments:

Post a Comment